Crepes also known as pancakes in the UK are fluffy and soft sweet breakfast and dessert. These vegan vanilla crepes are simple and easy to make yet delicious, perfect to cook on the weekend morning for breakfast, or as a dessert.
This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure visit Affiliate Disclosure page.
You know breakfast is my favourite meal of all time!
I love good old porridge, avocado on toast, bagels with vegan cream cheese… the list goes on! And one of my favourites is these vegan vanilla crepes.
On my birthday, the 2nd of May which was 2 days ago, I woke up feeling like making these vegan vanilla crepes for the very first breakfast of my new age!
So I am sharing my vegan breakfast vanilla crepe recipe today, get ready everyone!
What are crepes?
Crepes are amazing. Because It can turn into sweet like dessert or savoury dishes, whichever the way you want the to be!
I usually crave sweet crepes in the morning like with vegan Nutella and berries, almond butter and maple syrup, or just lemon and caster sugar like the traditional English pancakes.
The term “Crepe” is actually a French way of saying pancakes. I’m using the word crepe in this recipe because they are called crepes here in Japan too, just like they are in France:)
How to make vegan vanilla crepes
Today we are making the basic sweet crepes with basic ingredients so you can sweeten them up with whatever toppings or spreads you like!
Combine 2 flours
I used half self-raising flour and half wholemeal flour to make these vegan vanilla crepes a little healthier and wholesome. I used to avoid plain white flour and use all wholemeal flour, but now I use half and half.
If you don’t have wholemeal flour though you can just use self raising flour or any plain flour for this recipe too. The same goes if you don’t have plain flour, you can use just wholemeal flour alone, it taste as good!
Add tapioca flour for nice texture
Tapioca flour adds really nice soft texture to baking goods, and adding it to your crepe mixture will make the crepes nice and soft. Just a table spoon of tapioca flour will do a great job.
I used a couple of table spoons of flax meal (ground flax seeds) in these vegan vanilla crepes to bind all the ingredients together. You can ground your flaxseeds I your food processor until very fine, or you can also buy it already grounded in a packet.
I use this flax meal from iHerb, it’s finely grounded and ready to use. You can also make flax egg with this for any baking recipes that call for it by mixing 1 part flax meal and 2 parts water. Let it sit for 5 mins until it becomes jelly like and it’s ready to go!
You will LOVE these vegan vanilla crepes if you :
– love pancakes
– want easy and quick breakfast recipe
– are looking for a recipe to cook with kids
– are vegan
– are not vegan
– like the sound of crepe in French
Want more recipes like this?
Try my other delicious breakfast and dessert recipes you might enjoy!
- Cinnamon rolls -vegan
- Apple crumble bars – vegan and GF option
- Chocolate chip banana bread – vegan and oil-free
- Strawberry crumble bars – vegan and GF option
- Banana tahini muffins -vegan and oil-free
- Simple waffles – vegan
Visit breakfast page for more delicious recipes!
Vegan Vanilla Crepes with Berry Compote
What you need:
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 cup of soya milk or any of your favourite plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp gound flaxseed
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- A few drops vanilla extract
- About 1 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- molasses or maple syrup to drizzle on top
For the berry compote
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- First of all, mix the flax meal, egg replacer and water in a small bowl, stir well and set aside.
- Combine the flours, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the Flax mixture, soya milk and vanilla extract into the large bowl and whisk until smooth and set aside. But don’t over mix!
- Melt a small amount of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Pour 1/3 – 1/4 of the crepe mixture in the pan then make a thin circle using a ladle. Cook for 1-2 mins on one side then flip to cook the other side for another 1-2 mins. Repeat 3-4 times.
- In a separate small saucepan, add the frozen berries and maple syrup. Cook until it is like thin berry jam.
- Roll the crepes then top it with the berry compote and molasses or maple syrup or any of your favourite liquid sweetener.
- Enjoy your breakfast crepes!
Please leave a comment and rate this recipe in the comment section below if you like this vegan vanilla crepes! Let me know and tag me @thechestnutbakery on Instagram too. Thank you for making my recipe, friends!
Print and pin this recipe below!Print
Useful kitchen tools for this recipe
Frying pan like this is very good make your pancakes!
This one is teflon free so it’s safe to cook anything in it.