This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure visit affiliate disclosure.
A vegan mozzarella cheese recipe that doesn’t require nutritional yeast. This vegan mozzarella is dairy-free and gluten-free! Easy to make, wonderfully melty and stretchy, lovely on toast, pizza, or in pasta.
This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure visit Affiliate Disclosure page.
Hello everyone! Nice to see you again.
This is one of the recipes I’ve been tremendously excited to share with you for a very long time. Who doesn’t like the melty heaven resting on top of a pizza? Yes, vegan mozzarella cheese!
This vegan mozzarella cheese is of course dairy-free, egg-free and gluten-free! A whole lot healthier than a conventional mozzarella cheese made with dairy whilst still retaining that melty and stretchy goodness. You’re welcome!
Are you giving up on the fun Friday movie night with friends because you are vegan and can’t share a pizza? Say no more! Now you can make your own vegan mozzarella cheese to top on any pizza you like and impress your friends with it!
Mozzarella cheese and me
I used to LOVE mozzarella cheese before becoming vegan.
Mozzarella cheese is just lovely and melty on pizzas, it’s almost like your pizza is not a pizza without it!
I used to love adding mozzarella in my tomato sauce for pasta to make it extra creamy. It’s also lovely with olives over a nice glass of wine!
So by hearing all of this you can imagine how important mozzarella was in my life!
I have to say that it is not as difficult to live without cheese as you might think, but I think it is nice to have cheese alternatives in your kitchen to broaden the range of vegan dishes you make everyday.
What are the ingredients for this vegan mozzarella cheese recipe?
I love making different types of vegan cheese with different ingredients, and for this particular mozzarella recipe, I used something called “mochi” as the main ingredient to make that melty and stretchy cheese-like texture.
This vegan mozzarella recipe also calls for cashew and coconut oil as the fat, which gives it that rich and melty texture to the cheese, on top of the mochi as your oh so important base.
What is mochi?
Some of you might not be familiar with mochi, let me explain what it is for you!
Mochi is a traditional Japanese rice cake made from extra sticky rice. Yes, we have sticky rice and EXTRA sticky rice in Japan. This particular rice is used to especially make mochi, which is usually eaten sweet.
The texture is sticky, as you can maybe imagine it kind of melts like cheese when baked in the oven. This aspect of mochi makes it the best vegan mozzarella cheese that melts and stretches!
Mochi might be difficult to find depending on the country you live in. Try your local asian supermarket or you can always order from here from your home!
How to store this vegan mozzarella cheese
Once you make this vegan mozzarella cheese, you can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
My favourite way to store it is by making it into ice cubes! This way you can keep them in the freezer for a longer shelf life, and also it’s easier to take out the amount you need from the fridge.
To store it as ice cubes, let the vegan mozzarella cheese cool down to room temperature then pour it into an ice cube tray, just like making ice cubes with water. Let it cool completely before putting it into the freezer. Once it’s frozen take the frozen vegan mozzarella cheese out of the ice cube tray and transfer into an airtight container to store in the freezer.
To use, take the desired amount out of the freezer and defrost at room temperature or heat in a sauce pan over a low heat, or microwave until soft.
You will LOVE this vegan mozzarella cheese if you:
– are a cheese lover
– love pizza with mozzarella cheese on it
– are vegan
– are not vegan
– are gluten-free
– have a dairy/lactose intolerance
Want more recipes like this?
Try my other delicious recipes you might enjoy!
- Tomato Rosemary Focaccia Bread – vegan
- Vegan veggie burger – vegan & gluten-free
- Peanut butter & fruit toast – vegan
Visit my recipe page for more delicious recipes!
Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
What you will need:
- 5 blocks mochi
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsps nutritional yeast (optional for colour)
How to make:
- Put the mochi in a sauce pan and pour in just enough water so that it covers the top of your mochi.
- Cook on a medium heat and turn it down to a low heat once it’s been brought to a boil. Cook further until the mochi is super soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the mochi is very soft, stir it until the mochi and water blend nicely.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the mochi mixture and stir until the consistency is nice and melty like mozzarella cheese. If it’s too dry add 1-2 tablespoons of water until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Let the vegan mozzarella cheese mixture cool down to room temperature the pour it into an ice cube tray. Once completely cooled, place in the freezer until frozen.
- Once it’s frozen, take them out of the ice cube tray and place in an airtight container. Keep in the freezer until you next need them!
- Heat up the desired amount in a sauce pan or microwave whenever you get those melty mozzarella cravings! Enjoy~
Please leave a comment and rate this recipe in the comment section below if you like this vegan mozzarella cheese ! Let me know and tag me @thechestnutbakery on Instagram too. Thank you for making my recipe, friends!
Print and pin this recipe below!Print
Useful kitchen tools for this recipe
Ice cube tray
Ice cube tray comes in very handy when storing this vegan mozzarella cheese!
You can pour the vegan mozzarella cheese into your ice cube tray, just like the one in the picture and freeze for whenever you are using them later.