These vegan chocolate chip cookie bars are every cookie lovers dream – super chewy, gooey, sweet, caramely and delicious cookies base packed with chocolate chips. Be careful, it’s so addictive.
This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure visit Affiliate Disclosure page.
I just have to share these yummy, chewy, gooey deliciousness with you – Vegan chocolate chip cookie bars. Be careful, these chocolate chip cookie bars are honestly delicious and so addictive.. I am literally eating them the whole day whenever I bake them!
The great thing about these cookie bars is that it’s so easy to whip up and you can make them in one bowl! They are great to share with your friends, take to school or work with you as a snack, and makes a lovely home party gift too:)
To be honest, I had never had cookie bars before. So many times I’ve seen them in a cafe and bakeries, I never really brought myself to buy them or bake them.
And I regret that I didn’t make these sooner.. They turned out to be one of the BEST things I have ever baked before.
The idea of it is the same as ordinary cookies. Just the shape is square or rectangle, slightly thicker, and a lot chewier and gooeier with chocolate chips. When it comes to cookies, you know I’m all about thick and chewy cookies, and I can guarantee you that you will LOVE these chocolate chip cookie bars as much as I love them!
Tips to make these vegan chocolate chip cookie bars
I tried different methods with different ingredients to make these chewy deliciousness. And while it is super easy to whip up, here are some tips for you to bake these cookies bars.
Whipped vegan butter instead of melted one
I guess it’s fair to say that I’m not the only one who finds whipping butter a bit of work.. unless you have a stand mixer. I have an electric hand mixer which I use to whip creams and butters etc. And it seems way easier and tempting to just melt the butter and mix with dry ingredients.
But for this recipe, whipped butter works much better as it creates a soft and gooey texture and lifts the cookie slightly more.
I experimented with melted butter too and while it turns out as delicious, it makes the cookie bars slightly flattened and bit too dense compare to whipped butter.
Chill the dough before baking
You can go ahead and skip this process if you are in hurry, but if you have time, chill the dough in the fridge for at least 20mins to 1 hour. This let the dough spread slower as the butter in the dough hardens and bakes evenly in the baking tin while in the oven. This also allows sugar to dissolve and marry with all ingredients, resulting in chewier and more caramel like texture and flavour.
Place the dough in the centre
This is where I struggled the most… I used 18cm square baking tin to make it thick and chewy. What NOT to do to achieve the thickness, is spreading the batter all the way to the edge evenly, which I did for the first few times. Spreading the batter evenly makes the edges of cookie bar puff up way too much and the centre will sink a lot, which will create an uneven texture and taste as the result.
The dough will spread quite a bit so after taking it out of your fridge, place the dough in the centre and leave 2-3cm space around the edge from the baking tin, so that it will bake evenly.
Can these vegan chocolate chip cookies bars be gluten-free?
They absolutely can be gluten-free!
This recipe calls for plain flour and rice flour half and half. Simply swap the plain flour with rice flour so you will only use rice flour which is gluten-free.
How to store these vegan chocolate chip cookie bars
In case you can resist the temptation to eat all of the cookie bars within a day and decide to keep them for next time when your sweet tooth comes in, these cookie bars will last about 3-5days in an airtight container. I recommend you to keep them in the fridge for the best texture.
You can also keep them in the freezer in an airtight container for about 2-3 months. After that, they tend to lose its texture and taste so it’s always a good idea to eat them fresh:)
These vegan chocolate chip cookie bars are:
– super chewy
– gooey deliciousness
– gluten-free if only using rice flour
– easy to whip up
– great to share with friends
– lovely home party gift
Want more recipes like this?
Here are more chewy cookie recipes for you cookie lovers!
- Walnut cookies – vegan
- Double chocolate chip cookies – vegan
- Cinnamon and raisin cookies -vegan
- Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies – vegan and gluten-free
- Chewy funfetti cookies – vegan
Find more desert and sweets recipes in my bars and brownies page!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
What you need:
- 1 cup(110g) plain flour
- 1 cup(110g) rice flour
- 1&1/2 cup(220g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(100g) softened vegan butter
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup(75g) daily free vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven at 180C(356F)
- Mix the ground flax seed and water and set aside until it thickens.
- In a large bowl, mix the softened vegan butter and sugar with an electric mixer and whip until it’s pale and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, soy milk, flax seed mixture and salt and mix again to combine.
- Add in the flours and mix throughly with a large wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add in 2/3 of the vegan chocolate chips and fold into the batter.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and let it chill in the fridge for at least 20mins to 1 hour. If you don’t have time, you can skip this step.
- Place the dough in the centre of a square or rectangle baking tin and flatten the top to make it smooth. My tin is 18cm wide square shaped and similar sizes will work too. Leave about 2-3cm space around the edge so that it has room to spread.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chip on top and bake them for 25-30mins.
- Take it out of the oven and cool it down to the room temperature before cutting, so that you won’t burn your hand!
- Cut into squares to rectangles.
Please leave a comment and rate this recipe in the comment section below if you like this vegan chocolate chip cookie bars! Let me know and tag me @thechestnutbakery on Instagram too. Thank you for making my recipe, friends!
Print and pin this recipe below!Print
Useful kitchen tools for this recipe
Square baking tin
This square baking tin will do a great job for this vegan chocolate chip cookie bars!
Mine is 18cm square and this is exactly the same size.