Carrot cake is one my favourite cakes, they are delicious, hearty and so delicious with lots of lovely spices and carrots. I topped this carrot cake with vegan cream cheese frosting which made this recipe extra decadent.
This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure visit Affiliate Disclosure page.
If there is one food that I absolutely cannot eat by itself, It’s carrot. Why do you ask? I’m just not a huge fan of the taste of carrots since I was a kid, I don’t know why but never liked and probably never will.. But the funny thing is, I LOVE carrot cakes!
To be honest with you guys, the first time I ate a carrot cake, I was 21 and in London. I never ever dare try anything carrot until this day, I thought, hey I am in a foreign country maybe I will try something new. So I choose a carrot cake as a desert in a cafe and boy the carrot cake was delicious!
They are sweet, soft and moist and spiced with cinnamon and the cream cheese frosting on top of carrot cake, is amazing. And you just don’t taste carrot much.
And I made this super yummy vegan carrot cake the other day and after several recipe tests I am sure it’s going be your best vegan carrot cake recipe, I promise.
It’s soft and moist like all carrot cakes should be, and the advantage of this carrot cake is that it’s made better and healthier. Sounds good? Let’s get baking!
In my opinion, the best carrot cake is soft, moist, dense yet fluffy when you run a folk into it and rich in aroma of spices as you bring a bite to your mouth. And the cream cheese frosting should be so very smooth and creamy, but thick enough to accompany the dense texture of carrot cake. I doubt that you disagree!
I made so many carrot cakes and cream cheese frosting for this recipe, fail after fail, test after test. But I kept going and voila! The perfect vegan carrot cake was born.
Why this vegan carrot cake is perfect
This recipe requires a set of fairly simple baking ingredients. What I DID differently though is that I used 2 different types of flour to get that moist and dense texture I love in carrot cake. For this I used rice flour as well as regular plain flour.
Using only regular flour works as well, but the result will be too fluffy for my perfect carrot cake. Adding some rice flour creates the perfect balance of soft, moist and dense yet fluffy texture.
Vegan cream cheese frosting
Frostings usually contain a sort of butter and in this case, cream cheese. It is not so easy for everyone to find store bought vegan cream cheese, and even if you do find one it can be quite pricy. The one I can find in Japan is sheese, I love it but it’s 1,700 yen, about £12 and is so hard to find.. So I wanted to make an alternative.
I used a blend of cashew and coconut cream, and I am pleased to tell you that it works perfectly as cream cheese frosting for carrot cake! Key to make this cream cheese frosting is the mixing ratio of cashew and coconut cream. If not combined the right way the result will be too runny or too thick to spread, which you don’t want on your carrot cake.
I made a full blog post on how to make this vegan cream cheese frosting for you to take it step by step.
You will love this vegan carrot cake because it’s:
– super rich in flavour
– soft, moist, dense yet fluffy
– great as a gift to a home party
– nutritious with carrot, walnut and coconut sugar
Want more recipes like this?
Try these delicious sweet recipes too!
Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
What you need:
For the cake:
- 2 cup(230g) plain flour
- 1 cup(115g) rice flour
- 1&1/2cup(180g) coconut sugar
- 1&1/2cup(190g) grated carrot
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2tsp clove powder
- 1/4tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2/3cup(ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2cup(110ml) soy milk
- 4tbsp maple syrup
For the topping:
- Some walnuts.
For vegan cream cheese frosting, see this post for the full recipe.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C. (356F)
- In a large bowl, shift in the plain flour, rice flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder, nutmeg powder and salt. Mix well with a whisker.
- Add the grated carrot and mix well with a large wooden spoon or spatula. You can grate the carrot with grater, or throw in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Mix together the vegetable oil, soy milk and maple syrup and pour into the dry mixture and fold the batter with a large wooden spoon or spatula. Don’t mix too much! Mixing too much will result in tough cake.
- Transfer the batter in a 18cm square baking tin and bake for 45-50mins.
- While the cake in the oven, make the vegan cream cheese frosting. See this post for the full recipe and instruction.
- Take the cake out of the oven. To see if it’s baked, insert a tooth pick in the centre and if it comes out clean, it’s ready! Allow the cake to cool for 20mins before taking out of the tin.
- Place on a cooling lack and let it cool completely. About 30mins. This is important because if the cake is still warm, the cream cheese will become runny while spreading on top. You can also place the cake in the fridge to speed up the cooking process.
- Spend the cream cheese frosting evenly on top of the cake and sprinkle some walnuts.
Please leave a comment and rate this recipe in the comment section below if you like this vegan carrot cake! Let me know and tag me @thechestnutbakery on Instagram too. Thank you for making my recipe, friends!
Print and pin this recipe below!Print
Useful kitchen tools for this recipe
Square baking tin
My baking tin is 18cm square shape tin! This tin is the same size as mine and should do a great job for this vegan carrot cake!