This post may contain affiliate links. For full disclosure visit Affiliate Disclosure page.
Hi everyone! How are you? Hope you are doing well and healthy. It is a difficult time for everyone at the moment, so I wanted to pop in to deliver to you one of my favourite recipe! Chocolate Peanut Butter Skillet Cake. Chocolate & peanut butter in the same sentence never fails, doest it?
This chocolate peanut butter skillet cake is delicious and decadent with vegan vanilla ice cream and peanut butter sauce. The taste is rich and just soooo dreamy in your mouth. You can make the cake in one bowl, takes less than 20mins to whip up the batter. Great new recipe to try during quarantine. And of course, it’s vegan!
Making of the chocolate peanut butter skillet cake
As I said in my previous blog post, it was my birthday earlier this month! I thought I would bake a cake for myself but I just had so much work to do and ended up doing other things than baking a birthday cake. However, I always bake cakes so it’s like everyday is a birthday to me! And this chocolate peanut butter skillet cake was born in one of those baking days.
Last year, I have a really pretty skillet I bought which is the one I used in the pictures for this recipe. But I only used this ONCE since I bought it and really wanted to try cooking something with the skillet.
So I searched ways to use skillet for cooking and turned out, it’s also great for baking too! After I discovered it I whipped up some chocolate and peanut butter to make a cake in it.
And I cannot tell you how many times I failed to make this cake… I just lost counts! It was early January when I started experimenting with the recipe. I baked and brought it over to my parents house, my aunts house and I didn’t quite get the reaction I wanted from them for the first 3 attempts!
So I tried and tried like so many times and finally, I got it right! Yaaaaaay.
Why this chocolate peanut butte skillet cake is so good
I love chocolate + peanut butter combination so much, I mean who doesn’t right?! And I am happy to present this chocolate peanut butter skillet cake to all the chocolate lovers and peanut butter lovers out there!
I am darrrrn pretty sure you will LOVE this recipe because:
- It’s chocolate AND peanut butter (Enough you say but no it’s never enough!)
- Rich in chocolate flavour
- It’s vegan
- Soft and moist with vanilla ice cream
- Smooth with peanut butter sauce
Tips to make this chocolate peanut butter skillet cake
Here are some tips for you to make this recipe in your kitchen.
- Size of your skillet:
The size of the skillet I used for this recipe is 19cm wide, about 7.5inches. If any smaller than this the cake is likely to over flow but if slightly bigger I don’t see any problem!
- Peanut butter:
For the best result, use natural smooth peanut butter that has no added salt or sugar. Some brands like Skippy has additives which will affect the taste of the final product. Always use peanut butter made with only peanuts!
- Baking time:
You don’t want to over bake the cake otherwise it will be too dry, which is the mistake I made in my first attempt. The centre of the cake should be soft, so try the minimal baking time first then bake 2-5mins longer if the centre is not cooked yet. You can insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, it’s ready!
- Ice cream:
I used cocofrio vanilla sticky dates! This ice cream is made with coconut, 100% plant-based and vegan. And most importantly, it’s sooooooo delicious! See my review on cocofrio vegan ice cream here. You can use any of your favourite vegan vanilla ice cream, or any other flavours you like!
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS?
Vegan Chocolate Muffins – For all chocolate lovers out there
Strawberry Vanilla Cake – Want more cake recipe? Try my vegan&gluten free Strawberry Vanilla cake!
Pop into my sweets recipe page for more recipes to make too!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Skillet Cake
What you need:
For the Cake
- 1 cup (110g) Wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup (30g) Cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (130g) Smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup (130g) Organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) Coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup (ml) Soy milk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp Salt
For the syrup:
- 3 scoops of Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Sprinkle of cacao nibs
- Pre heat the oven for 180°
- Mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt with a whisker.
- Pour in the soy milk mixture, coconut oil and peanut butter in the large bowl to combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix gently with a large wooden spoon or spatula.
- Transfer the batter to a oven proof skillet.
- Bake for 30-35mins until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
- While the cake is in the oven, make the peanut sauce. Mix well the peanut butter, maple syrup and almond milk in a small cup until very smooth. Set aside.
- Let the cake cool down. When cooled, top it with the ice cream, peanut sauce and cacao nibs.
- Dig in!
Please leave a comment and rate this recipe in the comment section below if you like this vegan chocolate peanut butter skillet cake! Let me know and tag me @thechestnutbakery on Instagram too. Thank you for making my recipe friends!